Why Start with English at an Early Age
- Pre-school and young school ages represent a unique time for a child to acquire a foreign language naturally, similarly to the mother tongue. Later, the learning is much more complicated.
- Based on the latest linguistic and psychology research, at that age, children are basically "programmed" to learn language. It is the best time to acquire languages in general; in later life, the development of speech centres in the brain is closed!
- If, at this time, the creation of another speech centre in the brain is supported (aside from the mother tongue), it becomes a gift to be used and appreciated for the rest of your child's life.
- At this age, English language learning is not learning, but an entertaining game - if managed by qualified teachers following clear rules.
- An early start is not the only important feature; quality of teaching, with respect to a given age is essential.
- According to experts, children have a great capacity for remembering; they perceive a melody or a sound and if they like it, they remember it - regardless of whether it is in their mother tongue or English.
- A small child can connect speech with a certain person or character. The moment he or she sees a person they associate with a particular language, they switch to their language - English to the English teacher and Czech to the Czech teacher or parent. It works just like in a bilingual family; children create a switching mechanism for the foreign language.
- It has been proven that acquiring another language alongside the mother tongue has a positive influence on the development of both brain and intellect.
Back to Wattsenglish Method